LGBT Training for Healthcare Providers
Improve the health care delivery of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals.
Introduction to LGBT Health for Health Care Providers
The first thing that a health care provider needs to understand is the vast diversity of the LGTB community. The acronyms LGBT and sometimes LGBTQ represents a community that is as diverse and unique as any other.
- Different races
- Socioeconomic statuses
The common denominator is they are members of social and gender minorities that frequently experience stigma and discrimination in all areas of their lives including healthcare. Although uniquely different, LGBT individuals struggle with finding culturally competent health care services and this impacts both immediate and long-term health outcomes.
It is difficult to estimate the number of LGBT individuals to meet their health care needs as gender identity and sexual orientation questions are not routinely asked on most national or state surveys.
It is the responsibility of the health care system and each individual provider to increase awareness and competency in the delivery of care to these individuals. Improve the health, safety, and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) individuals.
- Lectures 11
- Quizzes 1
- Duration 02 hours
- Skill level All level
- Language English
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes
LGBT Training for Healthcare Providers Lessons Plan
- Lecture 1.1 Introduction Preview
- Lecture 1.2 The Price of Social Stigma and Discrimination Locked
- Lecture 1.3 How is LGBT Healthcare Different and Why is it Important? Locked
- Lecture 1.4 A Few Fast Facts on Needs of the LGBT Community According to HealthyPeople.gov Locked
- Lecture 1.5 Diverse and Unique Concerns for the LGBT Community Locked
- Lecture 1.6 A Few Considerations for Healthcare Needs for LGBT Populations Locked
- Lecture 1.7 Oppression in the LGBT Community that Impact Healthcare Locked
- Lecture 1.8 Efforts to Improve LGBT Healthcare Locked
- Lecture 1.9 Summary Locked
- Lecture 1.10 Where to Start? Locked
- Lecture 1.11 RESOURCES AND REFERENCES Locked
- Quiz 2.1 Quiz – LGBT Training for Healthcare Providers Lessons Plan Locked